Accomplishing the dream...

We look ahead to the future for happiness, letting life slip through our fingers. Will we feel complete when the task is done or look back on how we missed so much fun? Self-exhausted and we cant see a thing, hurting those we love as well as ourselves. We have so much to be grateful for, but are we willing to open the door? Too frequently others see whats in front of our face, but were to blind to look as we're ready to race. Is this what life should be about? Money, fortune, fame or a big house? Family, love, friendship and laughter are what we should seek. Everything else will fall in its place so there's no need to compete....

My Blog Pages

Thursday, January 7, 2010

Happy Thursday to all!

I guess I'm a little confused today. I've been going back and forth with a couple of dentist offices this week trying to figure out a resolution to my mouth pain. When I initially went to the dentist, I had my normal x-rays and cleaning, no problems other than going back to get one filling. Yippee! Until.....that weekend I started having some pain in my jaws/cheeks starting in the opposite side of where I needed the filling. I went back for my scheduled appointment only for them to say well since I was experiencing pain they couldn't do the filling at that time. So whats a girl to do? I asked. Well let's take a look at the x-rays you had done. It looks like you still have your wisdom teeth and that could be causing the pain because there may not be enough room for them anymore. I'll get Dr. McIntosh and see what he has to say about it, says the DA. So he comes in and says pain huh? Yes and its very uncomfortable, hurts when I eat, chew and touch the area, but its not my teeth, it feels more like my muscle and is painful to the touch. Sounds like a TMJ but lets pull the wisdom first and see if that helps any he said. So the nurse checks me out and gives me my x-ray, recommends an OTC anti-inflammatory, refers me to the oral surgeon and sends me on my way. I go for my consultation a few days later, been dealing with the pain with OTC meds in the meantime. I explain my situation, hand over the x-rays and they're only recommendation is pulling the wisdom teeth. I watch a video pertaining to the surgery, Dr. goes over a few key points and yadda yadda yadda....and as he gets ready to excuse me I say HALLLLTTTTTTT hold on, hold up. Do you really think that will resolve my problem? I'm not sure what wisdom teeth pain feels like, but I can guarantee you its not what I'm feeling. Look at my x-rays I demand, put yourself in my shoes, let me tell you again MY Situation. I am having pain/discomfort that starts in the morning and diminishes near midday. My pain switches sides often, the pain meds are not working and I've had a few people agree that this has little to do with my wisdom teeth. Will you explain what a TMJ is? I asked. He asked do you grind your teeth at night? I don't know... Do you clench your teeth? Maybe, I don't know... Are you under a lot of stress? DUUHHH....Of course. He explained well it could be a TMJ disorder but first we would still like to pull your wisdom teeth as you shouldn't have them at this age. It doesn't appear from your x-rays that there is an infection/ they are not impacted/ and your risk level of damage from performing this type of procedure is low, so again I would like to recommend the surgery and then focus on the possible Temporomandibular joint disorder (TMJ). It was nice meeting you, when you check-out the scheduler will give you an estimate and time of surgery and by the way, stop taking the anti-inflammatory 3 days before your appointment. So you're probably wondering why I said all this. I said it to say, you have to take responsibility for your OWN health If you don't care no one else will. I had other consultations and suggestions and got the point where I rescheduled my wisdom teeth removal until February. I will be getting fitted for a night guard to keep my teeth from clenching at night and until then I'm wearing a store bought mouth guard you know the ones that athletes wear, trying to figure out how to pay for all of the services and products I have to use while going through this process. Most importantly finding an oral surgeon that can take the time to look at my particular situation and treat me like a patient and not a number or $$$ sign because I have good insurance.

No comments: